Creature feature

Fawn 1                                                                                   Fawn 2

There were two baby deer in my backyard in the past two weeks. The first one my dad thought was a cat but when we got closer, we realized it was a baby deer. It was hot out and the fawn was curled up in the shade. We saw the fawn at 4:30 in the afternoon. He was about 2 feet tall and was only a few days old. He was not there for too long, he stayed the night and was gone by the morning. The second fawn was here last Thursday. This one was smaller than the first one and was a newborn. My mom and I saw it get under our fence. It was a little cool out and it was 4:00 in the afternoon. In the evening, my friend’s brother came to see it and the baby deer was laying down. A few minutes later it stood up so my friend and I went to go check it out and it started to follow us around my yard. Then what we all thought was the mom came and the fawn and mom were touching noses through the fence. After a while, the fawn got through the fence and was following the mom. Then the mom turned around and was nosing the fawn and then the mom stomped on the fawn! My mom and I chased the big deer away and went to see if the fawn was okay. It wasn’t moving but was breathing so my mom called Wildlife Conservation while I went to get my dad. The lady from Wildlife Conservation said that the big deer wouldn’t have been the mom and that sometimes deer try to scare fawns away when they follow the wrong mom. She said to poke the deer to make sure it could get up. After a while, it got up and ran back into our yard. It stayed there until the next morning.

I like that the babies have been coming into our yard and hope that we get to see more. They’re so cute and fun to watch because they can’t walk very well but they try super hard. I was scared when the big deer stomped on the fawn but was happy that we could help it and that it was okay. A few days ago, my friend and I were walking around in our back forest and saw three fawns with their moms so I know that the two that were in my yard are with their moms again.